18 March 2010

Can’t wait for summer!!!


It’s another post from Kristen!!!  I promise not to make it so long this time!  I just want to let you all know what I’ve been up to the last couple of weeks….

Subbing:
So, last week I found a job online to sub for 1st graders at a school right off of base.  I thought it would be pretty easy since they were 1st graders….haha….boy was I wrong AGAIN!  I had a terrible day!  I guess 1st graders may be a little too young for me?!  I’m not all that great with kids…and I guess “kids” is really what they were.  I honestly sat down for like 5 minutes at one point and thought to myself, “How do I get them to listen to me?”  They did not want to listen to me at all!  I even gave them three strikes on the board throughout the day which eventually took their book fair away from them.  I had to do it!  They wanted to go to the book fair so bad….but they just wouldn’t cooperate with me!  I felt so mean, but hopefully they learned a lesson!  Usually the teachers I sub for will leave a note telling me to write a note to the kid’s parents if they’re bad…but I don’t think a note to a parent should come from me…so I normally write a note to the teacher assuming they’ll relay my message to the parents.  Wellllll, I definitely wrote in planners this time!  I made one girl cry because I didn’t give her a sticker for the day!  Oh well, hopefully they’ll behave better for the next sub.  That afternoon I was just pooped!  I mean, the kids really took all my energy away!  I told Coy I was not interested in working the next day because I had such a bad day!  The next morning I received a voicemail from the same school asking if I could go in to sub 4th graders!  They must have been desperate because usually schools won’t call….and they called at 8AM which is when kids are already in school.  I thought about it for a good 5 minutes and decided to suck it up and try the 4th graders…..who knows, they may be good because they’re older…right?!  THEY WERE!!!!  There was one girl in one of my rotations that whispered to her friend often….but to me the sound of a whisper was a blessing!  The only bad thing about 4th grade…..when I walked in the classroom another teacher (who didn’t have a class that period) was going over something on the board.  She handed me the teacher’s copy of a worksheet the class was working on, she introduced herself, & then said “you have the math rotation”!!!!  hahahahaha…..math?!!!!  And fractions at that!!!!  I have not done fractions in…I don’t know, 15+ years….you know, when I was a 4th grader maybe?!  Long story short, there were two worksheets.  The teacher showed me the formula they use to figure the problems out….but she didn’t tell me that was the way to do just the first few problems!!!  So I had to do a worksheet myself to help those students who had questions!  Funny story: a little boy came up to my desk because he didn’t understand how to do one of the problems…..well I didn’t either!  Sooooo, as I’m talking to him and pretending to explain how you do it, a little girl, who was also at my desk, chuckled and said “that’s so easy!”  So I told her she could show us how to do it since it was so easy :)  Thank goodness she knew how to do it!!!  Haha - I would have never clicked on a job for a math class, but I’m glad I was sort of pushed into it because it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be!  This week is spring break over here, so no subbing for me this week!

Last week I also attended a wife event with my neighbors.  The wife events are usually a little awkward (for me) because there are so many different types of people here with different personalities, ways of doing things, etc.  I went to one wife event alone when I first got to Del Rio and I will never do that again!  It was like walking into your first day of school and seeing groups of girls scattered across one huge room and trying to figure out which group to interrupt & “try” to become friends with!!!  Then you find out you picked the wrong group….I don’t know….because your husband is a student pilot and their husbands are IP’s!!!  Needless to say, I have a better time at these events when I bring a friend along with me.  My neighbors and I attended and had a good time and we plan on going again with our husbands for some beer and bowling!

I’m sure most of you saw Coy’s post about us going to San Antonio for the weekend with his dad and Yazmin….we had a lot of fun there!  Coy was so happy to leave Del Rio for the weekend….good times!!!

When we were in Louisiana for Christmas, my dad and Coy built a dog bed for Dallas so she can lie down and look out the front window.  I painted the bed and we had bought letters and rhinestones to decorate it with and I finally finished it!!!  Dallas loves it!!  She lays on the bed every day and just watches the workers, dogs, squirrels, and birds…..oh, and the mailman!!!  She hates the mailman.  I open the window also so she can feel and smell the fresh and when the mailman walks by she goes nuts!  He knows she’s there now, but you should’ve seen him jump the first time she was that high on her bed in front of the open window!!!  Hilarious!!!

We’ve had some beautiful weather in Del Rio!!  My neighbors and I have been sitting outside in the sun last week and this week catching some rays during the day!!  Yesterday, we were sitting outside in my neighbor Candice’s back yard.  Sometimes I let Dallas come and sometimes I leave her home….if she’s invited, I definitely bring her along.  Well, yesterday, I left Dallas in our back yard and she could see us in Candice’s back yard and she kept yelping.  We may have been a whole 10 feet from her – Candice’s house is attached to ours, so our back yards are one big yard separated by a fence.  Anyway, Dallas slipped under the fence and darted across her yard!  It was so funny!  Dallas was pumped, but I was a little angry.  Coy fixed the fence when he got home : ) 
I love being outside!  Clear blue skies, a light breeze, and a bright sun and temperatures between 70 – 80!!!  I love it and I can’t wait for the summer to get here!!!  The only thing I can complain about is the buzzing in my ear I hear every now and then!!!  So now my neighbors have heard me yell, seen me jump, and know my fear of bees, wasps, etc.!!!    

My mom gave us a 500 piece puzzle that’s really neat.  The pieces have beer/soda cans all over them, but the puzzle is a picture of an eagle in front of the American flag.  And the pieces can also be planted to grow flowers!!!  So cool!  I’m not a puzzle person, but she figured it would keep me busy for a few hours/days.  Anyway, I’ve been putting off doing the puzzle because I really don’t have patience and it just didn’t seem like fun to try and fit 500 tiny pieces together to make a picture!  I figured it’s about time to start planting flowers and I really wanted to attempt the puzzle rather than just planting the pieces so I pulled it out last night and Coy and I started putting it together!!  I have to say, puzzles are actually fun!  Especially since Coy and I were doing it together!  We’re not finished it yet, but I’m sure Coy or I will update you all when we’re done!!! 

Yesterday, St. Patrick’s day, a few of my friends came over.  My first friend on base, Leslie, came over with her baby, Jet.  And my friend Kristen & Candice also came over.  We had hot dogs & chili, potato salad, fruit, sweet tea, and green cake (Candice is Irish & she brought that over).  We had a really good time!!! 

Thanks for reading….I’m sure Coy will make a post sometime this weekend!!!  Tootles!! 
~Kristen 

4 comments:

  1. I fixed the fence already Kristen. Lets do the puzzle!!!! -Coy

    PS. I'm not posting till NEXT weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE dallas in the clover ears! precious!

    and not posting til NEXT weekend?!!! WHATTTT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this weeks entry---high temp. today 52 degrees stop complaining. love you both CJ/Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M COMING IN TWO DAYSSSSS!!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!

    ReplyDelete