14 March 2010

I "MUSTACHE" you a question?

Last weekend I went on my cross country.

In short..., It was freekin' sweet!

The plan was to leave Laughlin AFB, fly to Lake Charles, LA, gas up and eat there, and then fly to Pensacola for the night. Then on Saturday fly to Little Rock, AR, gas up and eat, and then fly to Dallas for the night. Then on Sunday fly back to Laughlin AFB..... Well....., so much for plans. Our plane broke at 27,000 feet. It was not an emergency.

When we leveled off at 27,000 feet our canopy started to fog up. No big problem, just turn the defog on. So I did...,and it cleared right up. Well, in the simplest way I can explain it, the defog takes hot engine bleed air and mixes with the cool (cold) air outside (27,000 feet) and you can't even notice the heat from the engine bleed air. Once it cleared up my IP asked me to close the defog and I did. But we still kinda heard the loud noise of air. The darn defog wouldn't turn off!!! It was not that big of a deal at this altitude because the cabin temperature was not that big of a deal at that altitude.  Our cabin was still pressurized and we wear oxygen masks....., so no worries.  Once we started to descend..., we quickly noticed a difference.  The cabin was quickly becoming hotter and hotter.  It was not that bad for me in the front cockpit but my IP was burning up!  I was trying not to laugh.  But it was funny.  He was so mad.  We tried everything but nothing was working. Check out this video......, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjD67VZuYNU (<----just copy and paste it).  It's kinda like what happened but the video is waaaaaayyyyyyy funnier.  This is a foreign national student in a trainer plane. And the word "defog" must not translate too well. It is a little long to listen to the whole thing (4 minutes) but this will let you know what our cabin environment was like when we descended into Lake Charles.

I just watched it again!!! Soooooo funny!!!!!!!

Also, they gave us a BMW as a rental car. I couldn't figure out how to start the darn thing. It was so funny. I had to ask for directions. I could fly a $6.2 million dollars airplane across the US but I can't start a $40,000 BMW (Tip..... just hold down the brake while you press the start button).

On Saturday another plane was delivered to us and we decided to fly to College Station, TX (Texas A&M). It was fun over there because we were like freekin' rock stars. There was a bunch of Cessna's in the pattern and we fly like twice or three times their speed.... And our radio calls sound way cooler. Anyway, maybe no one on here would understand...., but if yall could imagine like a Toyota Camry car show, and then a Ferrari just showed up out of nowhere and started doing doughnuts..., that's kinda what it was like. Haha.

We gas up and ate lunch, then we flew to Dallas.  The airspace was so busy in Dallas and the radios were on fire. Those controllers don't breathe...I'm sure of it.

We met up with the rest of the T-6's over there (my classmates) and went to the hotel.  We stayed downtown.  It was sooo cool.  It was my first time in Dallas.  It is HUGE!

The next day we flew to San Antonio, ate and gassed up.  Then we flew back to Laughlin AFB.  The last day was the best because the weather was bad and we flew everywhere never seeing the ground until we were 200 feet from it!

Good weekend....

This weekend my dad and his wife paid for a hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio for Kristen and I.  It was our birthday present.  It was nice to get away from the base.  The hotel was nice!  We got in late on Friday night and went straight to the Hard Rock for dinner/midnight snack.  It ended up costing $110.00 so it was the most expensive midnight snack I've ever had.  Haha.  

The next day, Saturday the weather was PERFECT!  We took a bus to a Mexican restaurant.  It was decorated like crazy and the food was real good.

There was people everywhere because it was some sort of St. Patrick's Day celebration.  We made our way back to the Riverwalk to watch some Irish dancing and a ceremonial dyeing the river green.  It was pretty cool. 

On Sunday my dad and I went to church.  It was a pretty and old Catholic church.  We should have realized earlier..., but..., it was a Spanish mass.  Haha.  It was listed outside as "bi-lingual", but only the second reading and one sentence of the homily was my native tongue. Haha.  Classic!
 BTW... my mustache is starting to look good!!!

4 comments:

  1. I am confused....the pics don't match up with your story. Is this some sort of artistic expression of some sort?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome....looks like ya'll had a great time. Coy, where is your guitar? You fit right in with the mustache!!

    Aunt Charlet

    ReplyDelete
  3. although mustache is my favorite word, but it is so hard to look at!! Looks like a good time in San Antonio!!! miss y'all too much, hopefully see you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG COY! Mustache became my favorite word a little over a year ago!!! Got to love it!
    LUV YA!!!Mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete