15 August 2009

Back at good old Laughlin AFB



What a great week!
Last weekend I had my first and only "free day". A whole day....free...to do whatever I wanted! I decided to go to garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs and the Olympic training center with my buddy Donnie. garden of the Gods was pretty and everything, but maybe its an older people kinda thing. It was just a bunch of rocks. I did, although, think that the rock climbers were pretty darn cool (I tried).

The Olympic training center was another letdown. Its a complete complex where Olympians and hopefuls live, eat, and train. USA rocks! We went on the tour, which lasted all of 15 minutes...bummer. We saw where Olympians would train, but there were none there! All we saw was the pool where Phelps did train, and some synchronized swimmers walking around. Oh well, maybe I was expecting a lot more.

On Monday I stated the week by soloing my aircraft. That was awesome. I felt just........in control. Duh. Anyway, it was one of the coolest things ever. There is an Air Force tradition where you give the pilot of your first ride in an aircraft a dollar. So your first ride in an airplane is called your "dollar ride". You are supposed to give your IP (instructor pilot) a dollar with some sort of picture, phrase, or comment on it. Some people get creative with their dollars, and some don't. Well, I had to get creative with mine.

On Tuesday I had my pre-check. It was very nerve racking, but I did well and passed. On to Wednesday now......THE CHECK RIDE. All the marbles. I was so nervous that day. And to add to it, my day started with a 0540 brief tome, and my checkride was not until 1612 (4:12pm)!!! I was so exhausted by that time. But..., I passed. Wheew.

On Thursday I drove to Roswell, NM with two other Lt's. And today when we woke up (hungover), we went to the alien museum. I was expecting way to much! The museum sucked. But I got some OK pictures

Then we drove back to Laughlin this afternoon. kristen had dinner waiting for me when I got back. How awesome! And...., my favorite, chicken lasagna!

Well, as for me now its back to the same old same old over here for a couple more weeks. I start pilot training on 8 Sep. So, if anyone wants to come and visit, I would suggest doing it between now and 8 Sep! First come first serve.










2 comments:

  1. Wish we could visit! ):

    Glad you are home and did so well!!!!
    Wish I could say "see you soon", but who knows!!! Maybe you could just solo(+Kristen) to NOLA and visit me?!?!! you know since you're so good at it and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coy and Kristen,
    Just a note to say hello and to share a moment with you for Lt.Col Collins. I know you will miss him a lot. Best of luck to you both and the next step, the T6 Texan. Good pictures of your dad Coy and your parents Kristen.
    Thinking of you back here in NOLA.
    Uncle Jack

    ReplyDelete