08 August 2009

Just a couple of days left in Colorado

This was a good week. This was my second week flying. The first week dragged on and I felt that I was behind the learning curve. This week I felt like I had a chance to catch up and get in front of the curve.
I drove to Colorado Springs last Sunday to go to mass at the Air Force Academy. The chapel looks is the iconic building on the campus. It was beautiful..., and kinda scary. The Catholic church is in the basement....that kinda sucked.
I could never imagine going there for college. Every cadet that I saw there was in uniform and looked scared just to be there. To be fair it was mostly freshman and school was just starting this week so they were in the midst of being hazed I'm sure. I had fun in college, and they get hazed and wear uniforms.... Different strokes for different folks. Anyway, the campus was beautiful! It is so pretty, especially coming from New Orleans. New Orleans has a lot to offer, but no mountains! The scenery is just so picturesque.
This week I flew the "bulk" of my flights (Like the "main" ones). This week I completed all of my flights with a grade of "fair" or better...which is the standard.
The Lt's here are smart! I have been studying my butt off for our quizzes and tests. We have taken 11 quizes, and 3 tests. I have an average score of 96.01%..... WOW!!! That sounds pretty good huh? Not really, with that score I am ranked 43 out of 78 Lt's academically here! There is some serious competition, type A personalities, and brains here.
All I have next week is Mon-my solo, Tue-Pre check ride, Wed-Check ride, and Thursday I'll be driving home (and see my beautiful wife). Please pray that I do well this coming week. Every time that I go up in the air there is extreme pressure and I just pray and study and try my best for good grades.
Tonight (Friday), we had our solo party at Buffalo Wild Wings. Two guys in my flight finished up today (lucky dogs). A few more are finishing up on Monday, a few more on Tuesday, and so on. I'm about in the middle of the pack....Which is damn good enough!
Tomorrow I am taking off and going to Colorado Springs again. This time to go and visit the Olympic training center <-----For some reason all of those athaletes to me are just awesome and I want to see where we train them.
This last picture is stolen from my base's website. I competed in my base's biathlon. It was fun, but short. I'm in the back with white and blue glasses on.

3 comments:

  1. Proud of you Coy! Good look this week dude LT Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOOOOOO!!!!! you are done!!! good job, Coy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to see someone enjoy the academy. just got out of that place and ill hopefully be back in winter to see friends still there. like the pictures of IFS too.

    ReplyDelete