11 April 2010

Del Rio ain't so bad

Just two weeks left of T-6s!!!  On 23 Apr is my track select.  I filled out my "dream sheet" sheet this week.  In order, I put T-1, T-44, T-38 and finally UH-1's.  I'm 90% sure I'll get T-1s, so no worries here.

This week I had both of my low level flights.  They were soooooo awesome!!!  Basically the military has published low level routes where we fly 500 above the ground and make our way to a "target".  And they just go random places.....some in the middle of no where (over drug lord houses) and some in really cool places (valleys/populated places).  One of mine this week took me over I-10.  And it just so happened that there was a turn in the low level route there.  I hammed it up for the traffic on I-10 for that turn.  I banked it up to 90 degrees and pulled till I felt the blood rushing out of my head.  It was awesome!  I'm sure just a few 18 wheeler drivers saw me but who cares.... it was my own little "buzz the tower" moment.

I have 10 flying days left in T-6's and I have 11 more flights.  They don't like you to finish "on time"...., they like for the students to finish to finish with a few days for a fudge factor so I fully expect to be double turning (flying twice a day) to the max extent possible for the remainder of T-6s.  The first guy in my class finished up on Friday.....lucky bastard.
 This weekend Kristen and I volunteered at Laughlin's adventure race.  We should have done it.........but we didn't. No excuses.  It was a 7 mile run, 25 mile bike and 2 mile raft kind of race.  Teams of 4-8 people.  We were stationed at the raft exit.  Our job was to make sure no one drowned or dragged their rafts on the rocks while running to the finish line (you had to carry your raft with you to the finish).  Everyone was so tired...it was funny.  Peoples ores were braking.  Haha.  They were paddling with their hands!  Then we picked up a lot of trash...ate free BBQ from Applebee's.  The lake was so beautiful.  And where we were stationed was a nice little spot located on our base's private marina.  Kristen and I are going back there next week for some much needed sun!  If you squint your eyes and drink a lot of beer.....it kinda looks like your are on a vacation in Hawaii!
Kristen already signed up to sub this week...so stories they are a coming.
PS. Also, I've added another video to youtube.  This is a tour of our house here on base.  I've been meaning to do this for some time.  I know everyone can't come and visit, but now at least you can see what it's kinda like over here.  Not bad I promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QabK3otxkZQ

2 comments:

  1. The lake looks so pretty. good luck on your last few T-6 flights!!! Cant wait for the 23rd!
    love y'all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - a few things that make you go HMMMM...."fake" fruit?! and all this time I thought ya'll were eating your fruit every day!!!hmmmm...The garden, who did the garden?? both of you??? hmmmm.... The Queen- Dallas??? I think Kristen is the Queen & Dallas is the princess...hmmmm. I still can't get over the fruit! LOL.......
    LOVE YA'LL, MOM
    PS - COY - GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete