08 May 2010

Cinco de Mayo week!!!

Last Sunday we went to the local rodeo.  Its only a bull riding rodeo.  It was fun.  There was real cowboys everywhere.  The parking lot just had trucks in it.  It was awesome!   
Click on this sentence for a video of a bull being herded back into the stables.
We went with a classmate of mine, Josiah.
OK..., so for those of you who don't know.  A bull ride has to be at least eight seconds to be scored.  And at eight seconds a horn goes off and the rider can release his hold on the rope and "get off" the bull.  We only saw about 10 "full" bull rides.  Haha.  The riders usually get thrown off in a few seconds.  It's funny.
Our pictures were just OK because we brought our little point and shoot camera instead of our nice camera and the darn thing kept focusing on the white bar in front of us.  Stupid camera.
 It was so hot out there!  These pictures are trying to show the temperature from the rear view mirror in my truck.
They had this really cool "tornado" like dust cloud.  It was really big and kinda scary.  Everyone was looking at it.  We took a video of it but it doesn't give it any justice.  Also..., we took the whole video sideways....oops.
Click on this sentence for a video of the dust storm.

I found out a few things this week about my plane.  It's affectionately called the "TONE"  because it's the T-1..., and you can spell that out as the T-ONE....= TONE.  Also, I should be having my dollar ride in the TONE on 24 May!!!  I had two tests this week.  I got a 100% on the first one, and a 92% on the second.  That might sound good..., but it's really not.  A 92% sucks!!!  Oh well... I'll do better.  I got my headset issued to me this week.  I'm so pumped up about them!  I don't have to wear that huge constricting helmet anymore.  Or breath oxygen from an oxygen system.  My plane now is fully pressurized and keeps it feeling like 1,000ft.  It's nice!
Click on this sentence for a video of all the lights on my plane. .....I'm a nerd I know... but all of the lights on looks cool.
On Cinco de Mayo we were all pumped up! Usually, in New Olreans we would go out and have a great night.  All of the bars would have special promotions and there would be bands everywhere.  So, naturally living five miles from the Mexican border we thought that it would be a HUGE celebration over here..... We were wrong.  Haha.  Apparently its just a "made up" American holiday.  Haha.
 First we went to The Emporium for a shake.  This place is cool!  It's all old times like.  They even serve their soda by first adding syrup..., then adding the soda water.
Our friend Kit had a birthday on that day also so we did get to go out to eat.  Where you ask...?  A a trailer on side the road of course.  Haha.  There are a lot of those kind of food trailers around here.  They're actually very popular around here.  Then we went back to Kit's for birthday cake.  They're leaving to helicopter school in Alabama this week.  We'll miss them.
We did get to hang out with Kit and Peter one more time on Friday.  We went to Salas Burger.  We always see it but have never worked up enough nerve to go eat there. Of course..., it was good.  We found a new favorite burger spot!
Last night we had some friends over to have a Siete de Mayo celebration.  I'll use any excuse to use our Margaritaville blender. Haha.  We made margaritas, then pina coladas and then beer.  Then we played drinking games and ended up skateing in the house.  Sometimes you can't explain how things happen.....they just do.  Haha.  It was nice to skate inside the house without my mom yelling at me though.
 Click on this sentence for a video of Kristen skating uhmm......drunk.

1 comment: