31 July 2011

1/2 way done (maybe)!!!!!


Our last day "together".... many more of these great days in the future!
OK, let me explain this "short tour credit" thingy.  OK, so as a pilot in the Air Force you get to fly..., duh!  But you also have to do a short tour at least once in your career (and more often now that we are involved in like 3 wars at a time).  A short tour is defined as 179 days (6 months) or more deployed.  Once you get that under your belt you get put back to the bottom of the short list.  So I really want a short tour credit for this deployment.  I'll get it if I stay deployed for at least 180 days then this deployment will count.  The Air Force likes to play the game of sending you home at 179 days so that you still "owe" them a short tour.  And this is a GREAT deployment to count as a short tour.  Most short tours given to pilots are non-flying so that's whay this one is so good. 

So I want to get home ASAP to be with Kristen, family and friends, but I also want to stay out here for 180 days!  That would almost guarantee me no short tours for another five years or so which would be great!  If I don't get the credit for this deployment (less than 180 days)  I could be re-deployed again next year if they wanted to.....that sucks.  And the worst past of all this is they just upped the "short tour" definition to being deployed 300 days in a 365 day period.  So, right now I'm grandfathered in to the old short tour definition...., which is awesome!  So hope and pray that I stay here till Halloween.... then I'll be good to do.

I dropped a bunch of numbers this week.  I'm P-30 now!  I started at P-57 and this is my half way mark, so I drop an average of 1 number every 3.3 days out here. So that works out for me being here another 99 days, which would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Which means that I still have 4.5 days till I'm actually half way done.  But that's me stepping on US soil somewhere around 9 November!!!!  Which kinda sucks because my wedding anniversary is 8 November..., but I think Kristen can wait an extra day to see me.  I love you Kristen!  PS.  Some people are extending their deployment to 270 days to guarantee their short tour credit.
It's hard to read, this is from my flight hours iPhone app.  Basically, I've been flying A LOT
49% of my flying time has come from the MC-12!
I topped 600 total flying hours in my lifetime this week!  251.5 of those have been here in the sandbox!  I'm flying A LOT!  I need 1000 hours before any major civilian carrier will look at you application.  They really like you to have 1,500 hours.  But I have 9 1/2 years left on my commitment so I think I'll be alright. 
Someone is about to get SOAKED!!!
We're always told in the Air Force that as the newest military organization (18 September 1947), we don't have real traditions..... But I beg to differ!  It seems like I talk about an Air Force tradition every week on this blog.  Here's the AF tradition for this week.  On a "fini" flight (your final flight at current duty station or current airframe) you get soaked with champagne usually...., or water.  It's supposed to be by your wife, but out here there's no wives.  So this week a fellow 1Lt was having his fini flight.  We took some water bottles out there and I found a water gun.  We got Shiv (call sign) pretty good.  We all hid around the back of the jet and he had no idea it was coming!  Good times.....
Shiv got it!  Congrats on getting the heck out of the sandbox!
I got a letter from Kristen with kisses all over it and colored pictures!!  It was the coolest!  Dallas signed it also so she helped out too.  I love them!

Thanks to CJ and Ben for a "fun" package.  Haha.  The package included four wooden model type airplanes with propellers and rubber bands to make them really fly.  These looks like to much fun for over here.  I haven't unleashed them yet to the "common folks" at my squadron just yet in fear that they might put someones eyes out.  But in time, one by one, these planes will be set free in to the general squadron population.. I should just know what I am asking for when I do this...., because someones eye WILL be poked out from someone throwing the plane with little to no aim..... oh well...., good times!  I took one of the plane out for a spin.....took a video of it.....with a friends camera......it's still on his camera.....video coming to a blog near you soon.
Kristen supporting her deployed husband...me!  Thanks babe.
I was told today that my mustache looks good today.  That was awesome!  Haha.  It made my head slightly bigger but it's under control.  Also, I still have a case of pilots foot so my head has shrunken back to normal size.
Dallas had fun in the mud....then got a bath....Haha.  She's great.

8 comments:

  1. YAY!!! We will plan on seeing BOTH you and Kristen at the annual Oddo Christmas party then!! Just to make you feel better....Andrew and I went to Lowes this week to get some plants and there was no plants all in the outside area. The lady says they removed all the plants to get ready for Christmas trees. Note to self...you will be home before you know it....Its just turning August tomorrow and they are already getting ready to bring in Christmas trees!!! Had fun chatting with you this week...Stay safe and talk to you soon!!

    ~~Gunk~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the blogs! and of course your awesome picture with your sweet orange and blue gun! thanks for all the updates in your life.

    Lindsay Steltz <--- yeah u like that name change =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for explaining the short tour!!! I try my best to explain it to people, but it's difficult to keep explaining when I see their expressions change after they know I want you to be gone for at least 180 days!!! Haha...they're like, you don't want him home sooner...? And I would be so excited if you came home early, however I want you to stay there and do whatever you need to do so your short term is done!!! And if you have/want to stay longer to garuntee (did I spell that right?) it gets done, I support you 150%!!! But I do really miss you :). Oliver posted a link on his fb to get a free deployment flag...so my mom ordered it!!! It's on the side door :). Dallas did get a bath after the mud episode....and then went throug the mud again!!!! Crazy dog!!! Well, we love and miss you!!!!! I'm so happy you're halfway there!! Whoop whoop! Keep getting those hours!!!!
    LOVE,
    Kristen xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post! I get the short-tour philosophy, so I hope you get at least 180 days there. It seems a cruel to yank someone after 179 days so they can re-deploy them, as if because they left 24 hours earlier that time did not count, but what do I know.

    Keep on keeping-on!

    -Woody and Hugh (soon to come)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That orange & blue weapon is definitely you!!! LOL Of course we all want you home early but can totally understand about the 180 days. I won't complain if Kristen has to stay with us longer!
    Dallas is also having fun at maw-maw and paw-paw's house as you can see - what happens at maw-maw & paw-paw's house stays at maw-maw and paw-paw's house. Dallas does miss her daddy too but at night she goes into her "special toy box" (you know the BIG toy box she has hidden in her room with toys that only Dallas can play with) and out of all the toys she picks the air plane to play with! I think she's telling her mama she is playing with her daddy!
    Oh...and Kristen it's "guarantee"...... LOL!!!
    LOVE YOU COY & LOVE YOU TOO KRISTEN!!!!!
    Denys

    ReplyDelete
  6. All good news Lt. Good explanation of your time remaining and your flying. Thats great that you have been flying as much as you have been. No one can wait until you are home safe and sound. Especially Kristen, Dallas and the rest of the family and friends. How is the "pilots foot" treatment going?? Hope its gone soon. Stay well and safe.
    Uncle Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. missing you! love all the pictures this week! and I think we can hold out until november for you if that means you're bumped from the list! we need an updated pic on the stache next week!!! stay safe love you

    ReplyDelete