05 August 2011

I'm P-29!

I'm P-29 this week.  There are a few more dudes leaving soon, but I'm not sure when right now.
The mustache is in FULLLLLLL effect over here!  I'm basically bulletproof right now.
Sunrise just as I walked out of a pre-flight briefing
It's Ramazan (pronounced Ram-a-dan) over here right now.  Basically the whole month of August is a Muslim holy month.  We have a whole bunch of restrictions placed on us during this month.  One is that we can't wear any our PT gear around base unless we're going to/from PT.  Which sucks because it's 108 degrees over here and my other uniforms are long sleeves pants.  Another new restriction is that we can't eat, drink or use tobacco in public.  This is pretty funny because the whole boardwalk (owned by Muslims and where the food is) is outside and it's been empty (there is still a few contractors over there)!  It's crazy how accommodation our country is.  Oh, and Muslims believe that you have to fast during daylight hours (they're not enforcing this rule on us thank God) with the only exception being if you are doing Jihad (trying to kill us), so basically everyone in this country is still eating during the day.  We need to get the heck out of here..., this country is whack!

So I wanted to see how much I'm weighing these days.  After a workout yesterday, I went to Role 1 (clinic on base) because I figured they'd have a scale (our gym does not for some reason).  I weighted 238 when I got here.  I now weigh 213.  Holy crap.  I don't think I look any different.  That was weird, and awesome at the same time.  I have a few goals while I'm here on my deployment, and losing weight is not one of my top ones.  Although, if I succeed at some of my other goals the weight loss is inevitable.  Since I was in there they checked to see if i was due for anything...., and what do ya know...., I was.  So I got two shots in my arm too.


Goals should always measurable and attainable.  So let me make my goals known so that I am held accountable....oh geeez.  I want to score above a 90% on my next PT test.  My last full PT test I scored an 85% (I think).  I know it wasn't over a 90% because if you get a 90% or higher you don't have to take it every six months, instead you only have to take it every 12 months.  To do that I have to better my run time.  I currently run a 12 minute mile and a half.  I want to run an 11 minute mile and a half.  This IS doable!  Of course I work out over here but I never really push myself.   I've looked up some running routines and have started to push myself.....and bot do my legs hurt already..... oh well, a goal has been set.  I'll keep yall posted.  I hope to blow past this goal and set new goals before the end of my deployment.


I need this short tour credit.  And it looks like the Air Force might be calling my bluff.  I might have to ask for a 30 day extension over here to make it happen..... bummer.  More to come on this.....
Is this cool like having a pic in your hair?
I had the highlight of my deployment this week.  Just google "Beast of Kandahar".  It's pretty damn cool.  The Air Force kicks ass!

Kristen sent me some homemade cookies!  Kristen is going to hate me but I HAVE to share the story.  This was actually her second attempt at these.  She prides herself by making things from scratch from time to time.  This time though..., she forgot to add flour to the mix and was wondering why they weren't baking right? Huh....?  She was soooo mad at herself.  Oh well, it was a good laugh and probably wont do that again, for a while.  But she persevered and pushed through.  She regained her confidence and re-attacked.  This time they came out great and she sent those to me.  She also sent me three plane magazines, which gives me something to read while in the plane, so that was good too!  Funny thing about that one is that one of those was a model jet r/c magazine...., haha.  It was still interesting to read though.

I got a package from Mama Oddo this week!  She always goes overboard!  Haha.  She sent me boxes of stuff.  Instead of the USPS "all you can fit one price box" she opted for the over sized regular box.  Haha.  Classic Mama Oddo right from the start.  You see, in our mail room they line up all the mail everyday.  About 90% of the boxes are the "one price" USPS boxes and the remaining boxes are either from amazon.com or over sized letters.  Well, my name had a note next to it saying that my box was on the floor!  Haha.  It was to large to fit with the rest of the boxes.  She sent me a box full of my favorite Oddo snacks (the stuffs she fills her candy dishes with and I eat while visiting) peanut M&M's, mixed nuts and candy corn.  Good times.  Mama Oddo is a hoot.  Mama Oddo, it got to me on Monday, the 1st of August, FYI.
This is Dallas saying, "Uhmmm, Mama, my ball is stuck".
Also, my buddy Juilo just got back from him 6 month deployment with the Navy.  No, he never set foot here in the sand box..., but he did do some cool stuff.  He watched pirates around Africa, participated in Libya's "stuff", got a UAV helicopter shot down and visited really cool countries just to name a few.  I would say welcome back, but since I'm not there that doesn't seem appropriate.  So, I'm happy everything is over for ya buddy!  I'll be right behind ya'!

Sorry about the lack of "cool" pictures this week.  I'll try harder.  Until next week.....  see ya'!

7 comments:

  1. Your stache is nasty...just saying. I think you should name it because it definitely big enough to have its own identity. I'm pretty sure you should report that you fly with a crew of 8, not 7 (is that the right number?!) The comb going through it is pretty funny though...I mean, "hood". It makes you look like you have swag...in a weirdo (you know what-er) kind of way! Ew. You would actually fit right in in Bucktown. And I'm almost certain that's not a compliment. Haha...but I still love you :)
    If you're in the sand box,... was Julio in the swimming pool? Just wondering! I'm happy he's home safe. Now we need to get you back home...and figure out how to leave your hairy friend there!
    I'm glad you like your cookies & MOST of your magazines :) At least they're all in English, right?!? And yes I do take pride in making things from scratch...because I'm good at it ; )
    Well, thanks for the updates & nasty chester photos. I love and miss you & so does Dallas...but we want you to do whatever you need to do to get this short tour out the way!! Stay safe!!
    Love,
    Kristen & Dallas
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. in response to the questions posed with picture #3 of the blog.... NO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coy, in regards to photo #3, I believe you are wearing your pick in the wrong spot. You know, back in the day I could have shown you how to really wear a pick (but you need hair on top of your head). Actually the teeth on an authentic pick are not that close...I still have mine & will have to send it to you to see if "Chester" can hold it like he (assuming Chester is a "he") holds the comb!! STAY SAFE!!! LOVE YA!!! Denys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coy, love the posts and so happy you are safe and doing well. The "stache" is a lil cheesy and seems to have a life of its own! Stay safe, we love you!! The Kee's

    ReplyDelete
  5. P-29 and counting. Downward. Thats good news. The "stache" should stay. Looking better after filling out more. If it keeps you bulletproof then keep that sucka on till you're back home. Wasn't sure how the Oddo package was going to arrive. Hoping it wasn't going to be one big melted glob of stuff. Glad it arrived and Kristen's cookies. They're are many pastries you can make without flour. Problem is you are over there. But just wait till you're back home. Don't like the possible 30 day extension. But if works out in your favor then it will be a good thing.
    Stay safe and stay well.
    Uncle Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coy, this is your favorite fantasy football commissioner. I'm glad to see you are safe and making the most out of your TOD. I love the stache. Just wanted to let you know we have held your spot if you are able to fill it. If not, I understand serving your country really does take precedents over a silly league. We are having the draft online on 9-7-11 at 1600 Louisiana time. Drop me an email @ bsweiter14@yahoo.com
    Josh said he's going to win so you might not want to bother.
    Stay safe man and remember you can use the stache for cover.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stache makes you look MUCH older than you are and creeeepy.....

    ReplyDelete