19 October 2009

Class 11-01 Wife's Day - At The Squadron!!!







Hi Everyone!!!

So this is my first time blogging and I’m excited to share with you guys what I’ve been doing here in Del Rio!!! I've been looking for jobs, but I haven’t found anything that interests me just yet. I’m usually busy during the day working out, playing and going on long walks with Dallas, cooking, shopping, etc. With or without Coy in the house I’m managing quite well and have not found myself bored yet : )

Last week, me and some of the wives had the opportunity to tour the squadron building where our husbands will be having class and spending most of their time during phase 2 of pilot training. Coy was a bit jealous because we got to hang out in the 85th squadron bar….students can’t go in there….the bar, beers on tap, and mugs to drink out of are for IP (Instructor Pilot) use ONLY!!!...and visiting headquarters for wives!

After getting to know more about the 8 wives I’ll be spending a lot of time with, we headed over to the T-6 simulators!!! Boy was that an experience! And you should thank “you know who” that I’m not a pilot!!! These simulators were so awesome – $2 and $4 million dollars each – it’s a shame I crashed as many times as I did! I posted a couple You Tube videos for you to see me as a T-6 pilot!! (To view, click on the pics located on the right side of our web page.) One video is me having a crazy take off and the other is me flying under the bridge at Lake Amistad….it’s a bumpy ride and very funny to watch! Coy was also pretty jealous (along with the other husbands) because we were able to fly the sims before they did! It’s great to be an Air Force wife : )

After our sim time we toured the entire building. The walls were cluttered with years and years of class pictures and the halls reeked of smelly student pilots. (I’m not complaining – to me, it’s the smell of freedom : ) As I walked around I thought of how proud I was to be an American, and how privileged I felt to be so welcomed in the same area where the world’s greatest pilots go through the most intricate training. I also saw the classroom where Coy will spend long hours in and as we left the building I thought to myself how his picture will also be hung on the walls in that same building one day.

After our tour through the squadron building we walked onto the flight line and got a closer look of the T-6 Texan….that was so neat! Planes taking off and landing pretty close by, T-1’s off to the right, T-38’s to the left…..it was so cool to see them all up close!

After lunch, we had the opportunity to meet everyone in charge of all the students at Laughlin. It’s so funny how the students are so scared of the Colonel (second in charge) and Lt. Colonels! They’re all really nice guys! They told us we can go to their offices and talk to them if we ever needed, despite of what our husbands tell us!! We also made friends with their wives! Good times at the 85th squadron bar – where Coy can’t go (yet)!!!

It was so nice to finally meet the other wives! They're all very nice and I'm sure we'll become good friends through this journey. We're actually in the process of planning fund raisers to have parties and things like that for the 11-01 class.

I’m convinced Coy and my time in Del Rio will be an adventure we’ll never forget.

Thanks for taking the time to read my first blog! Enjoy the pics from wife's day and the videos of me flying in the sim!

Love & miss you all,
Kristen
xoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. this just made my morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I made your morning yersterday! Posting was kind of fun - I might do it more often : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLOOOO KRISTEN.......
    These will be some of the best times you will have.....enjoy. I am sooooo relieved you won't be flying - I was air sick after looking at the videos! I LOVE YOU, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha - thx mom. luv u too!

    ReplyDelete