29 November 2009

I skipped a week

So much to tell/talk about.....


I passed my big weather test!  I had my first flight in the T-6 (dollar ride)!  Wooohoo!!!


So, let me start by telling yall about my dollar ride. It was two Thursdays ago (20 Nov).  I was so nervous.  It was awesome.


This plane has so much extra power its ridiculous!  We took off and went straight to the practice areas.  Once there I immediately started feeling sick.  darn.  So we took it a little easy for my sake.  We were doing some easy maneuvering with our gear down and our flaps extended.  My IP took back the controls and slammed the power to max and set us in a dive.  I was was just sitting there thinking........wow.  Then all of the sudden he pulled the power back, nosed up and started cursing.  I was looking all around trying to figure out what had happened.  he told me to look at the gear handle.  Ooops.  He had forgot to retract the gear and flaps before going fast.  That means that we just oversped the gear and flaps.  The danger in that is that they're rated only for a certain speed.  Exceeding that speed could cause structural damage (maybe bent/missing gear or flaps).  We can't see any of those devices so we had to declare an emergency and request a chase ship!  Oh crap!  A chase ship came and met us in the air.  He circled us and checked out the condition of everything.  It checked out visually so we were cleared to go back in and try to land it now.  We had to fly the whole way back in with the gear and flaps extended because if we picked them back up there is no guarantee that they will retract again.  We had Laughlin AFB's finest firefighters waiting for us on the runway when we landed just in case we landed in a big ball of fire.  Haha.  It was an awesome dollar ride!

Phase II is very difficult.  I spend all of my waking moments memorizing, and reading. 


I have had three flights now.  I have my fourth tomorrow if the weather holds up.  I threw up  five times so far in my first three rides.  I can't throw up on my next three for sure because the doc gave me some anti-throw-up meds.  I'll see how that goes.


Thanksgiving break was nice.  Kristen's parents came in town for a week.  We had a lot of fun with them and A LOT of food too.

No comments:

Post a Comment